When we feel overwhelmed and under pressure, or like there is too much to do and too much on our plate, our tendency is to speed up. Our breathing speeds up, our thinking speeds up, and our movement speed up.
We disconnect from the flow and our natural rhythm, and we start to push and work harder. We do more than one thing at once, push through our to do list, and rush from place to place, all in an attempt to keep up. But without realising, all we are doing is making it worse.
Our bodies become tense, our breathing becomes shallow, our minds become foggy and clouded with a million conflicting thoughts, and our energy system becomes drained and depleted.
I personally found myself experiencing this exact feeling only a few days ago, after putting way too much on my plate, saying way too many yes’s, and over-committing myself.
I woke up in a state of complete panic, barely breathing, totally overwhelmed and trying to do everything at a million miles an hour. I was reacting from a state of fear to the growing list of demands, and the little time I had to complete it all. I’ll be honest, it swept me up for a while. But after a few hours of craziness, I finally caught myself out.
I paused, took a deep breath and made a choice that changed everything. Rather than speeding up, I decided to slow down.
I closed the blinds, rolled out my yoga mat, put on some gentle music, lit some white sage and began to stretch into my body. My mind fought with me initially, but gradually I felt myself soften. My breathing began to deepen. My body let go. My mind slowed. And I found inner space.
Everything suddenly seemed more simple and clear. The problems that seemed huge an hour ago, now seemed much smaller.
And as I sat and breathed deeply, I began to hear my inner wisdom whisper. Clarity, guidance, insight and answers flowed through. A feeling of calmness, support and love washed over me. I journaled out new realisations, new steps to take, the decisions I needed to make, all of which suddenly felt easy.
And with this re-connection to my inner self and my loving guidance, I felt ready to step back into my day, feeling inspired, grounded and focused.
This experience inspired me to come onto the podcast and share with you some powerful principles and tools that will support you break out of the hypnotic trance of hustle and doing, and instead shift into ease, flow and peace.
In this episode I cover;
- How I shifted myself out of an overwhelm meltdown.
- Why pushing and hustling is not the most effective way to get things done.
- 4 principles and practices that will help you shift out of hustle, stress and doing-mode and into more flow, ease and peace.
- The power and importance of focusing on who you are being, not just what you are feeling
- Why the energy, emotions and mindset you bring to everything affects the outcomes you get.
- Starting steps to get more in tune with your body and how you feel.
- Why pushing is a state of control that comes from fear.
- What it means to drop into the flow and beginning steps to shift into this energy.
- The importance of being in a state of acceptance and allowing, not resistance.
- The power of slowing down, and how to practise this so you can calm your energy, but still get this done.
- Why slowing down requires letting go.
- Why we need to shift out of thinking, and instead be guided by our feelings.
- How to begin letting your body’s wisdom, your inner guidance and your intuition guide your life.
- Plus, enrolments are now open for my course Slow Down & Tune In, and I share all the details with you.
Listen to Episode #78
Resources I Mention
Free Workshop: Watch the replay of the workshop
Slow Down & Tune In Online Program: Enrolments are now open!
This soulful 3 month journey will guide you back into connection with yourself so you can awaken your heart, activate your inner wisdom and find peace, stillness and wholeness within.
Over 3 powerful months you will receive weekly resources and learn tools, processes to practises to help you live with more mindfulness, presence, peace and ease, and embody more of your true self.
Find out more about Slow Down & Tune In here.
Do you love Awaken Radio? Subscribe on Itunes or Soundcloud and ever miss an episode.
What is your biggest takeaway from today’s episode? Share with me in the comments.